Upon completion of Risk Management Consult: Handoffs and Hospitalists
, you should be able to:
1. Describe the liability considerations involved when one doctor is expected to receive and follow up on the results of medical tests ordered by another physician.
2. Explain how poorly managed hand-offs threaten the continuity of patient care.
3. Discuss the basic principles of facilitating a smooth hand-off.
4. List your own responsibilities in ensuring that the patient receives appropriate follow-up care.
5. Explain your nondelegable duties as a physician.
6. Explain how the SBAR communication model works and how it can facilitate better hand-offs.
Learn More About
Hospital Medicine CME