Safe and Effective Opioid Prescribing for Chronic Pain
Posted by...Bernard Sklar, MD.
CME Credit Hours...4.0.
CME Credits Awarded by....Boston University School of Medicine.
Instruction Type...Slide-Audio Lectures.
Target Audience...Physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, dentists, and pharmacists
Expiration of CME credit...January 31, 2014.
Financial Support...None Stated.
After completing Safe and Effective Opioid Prescribing for Chronic Pain
you will be able to:
• Discuss the breadth and quality of evidence for the use of opioids for chronic pain, including current gaps in knowledge.
• Describe appropriate assessment, monitoring and documentation strategies to meet best practice standards and medico-legal requirements to support opioid prescribing.
• Apply appropriate communications strategies when initiating, managing, and, if necessary, terminating opioids for patients with chronic pain.
• Describe, screen for, and manage potential co-morbidities in chronic pain patients.
• Apply a practical framework for decision-making on the initiation, maintenance, and discontinuation of opioid analgesics for the treatment of chronic pain.
This program meets the criteria of the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Medicine
for 4 hours of risk management study and 4 hours of opioid education.